Tuesday, April 6, 2010

TOMS One Day Without Shoes


I've been on hiatus from many things besides my blog. The weather, though balmier, is still restrictively cold. I frequently receive e-mails from TOMS headquarters and this last one caught my attention. As many of you know (all handful of you from my blog), TOMS is a charity that gives shoes to needy children in developing countries. On this April 8th, they are organizing what sounds like their 2nd nationwide event to have the privileged (that's right: us) experience for themselves what it's like to be without protection for our pampered, sheltered soles. Sure, some of us are tough and choose to be barefoot all the time but I'd venture to guess that's a minority. Rain or snow, it's happening. It snowed today and skies should be clear for thursday.

If you've been waiting all winter to finally break free and show off your pretty manly toes, here's the perfect excuse to do it and help raise awareness in your community for a charitable cause. For more information, check out: www.onedaywithoutshoes.com and look for an event in or near your town.

The above picture is taken from their website. One does what one can when dire situations fall upon you. Creative way to make shoes. Bravo!

Our local event starts with a short walk at 3pm. Logistically, it's going to be hard to pull it off since I'm at work miles away. Does this make me a bad person if I'm announcing it but not making a sacrifice to participate? I'll certainly be there at heart. I'll let you know what happens. I'm a bit of a slave right now and like I've mentioned before, I'm moving on to bigger and better things this summer and hope to regain control of my life. 3pm? Who planned this? It could be because the temperature drops precipitously in the evening and no one would show up? Wasn't the point to suffer a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment